Re: Security Issues

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@jtcsv.com)
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 14:16:31 CST

    Each character in the FOR REVIEW list is collected because either:

    (a) it would not count as part of an XID, or
    (b) it is part of a bicameral script and doesn't have an uppercase, which is
    the situation for

    026B ; LATIN ; Atomic-no-uppercase # L& (ɫ) LATIN SMALL LETTER L
    WITH MIDDLE TILDE

    In either case there is prima facie reason for some level of scrutiny, if
    the goal to be initially conservative in repertoire. (In this, I am not
    necessarily advocating one or another approach; simply trying to gather
    information so that informed judgments can be made.)

    The WORD CHARACTERS ADDED list also need review, especially for the
    MODIFIER LETTERs, to see which if any of those (if any) are used in modern
    languages. I am hoping to get information back like the following
    (hypothetical):

    ---
    Referring to the characters at the end of
    http://unicode.org/reports/tr36/draft/idn-chars.txt
    0264  ; Ll # (ɤ)  LATIN SMALL LETTER RAMS HORN
    needs to be included. It is lowercase in form only; it is used caselessly,
    which explains the lack of uppercase. It is used for Wičita, a modern
    language spoken in Kansazia, with several weekly newspapers (eg
    http://qwery-news.kq)
    018C          ; LATIN ; Atomic # L& (ƌ) LATIN SMALL LETTER D WITH TOPBAR
    is only used for Northeastern Squamish. There are no regular modern
    publications using this character, outside of articles on linguistics.
    026E  ; Ll # (ɮ)  LATIN SMALL LETTER LEZH
    0270  ; Ll # (ɰ)  LATIN SMALL LETTER TURNED M WITH LONG LEG
    02C2  ; word-chars # Sk (˂)  MODIFIER LETTER LEFT ARROWHEAD
    02C3  ; word-chars # Sk (˃)  MODIFIER LETTER RIGHT ARROWHEAD
    02C4  ; word-chars # Sk (˄)  MODIFIER LETTER UP ARROWHEAD
    02C5  ; word-chars # Sk (˅)  MODIFIER LETTER DOWN ARROWHEAD
    02D2  ; word-chars # Sk (˒)  MODIFIER LETTER CENTRED RIGHT HALF RING
    are only used in the Danish Gua'uld system of phonetic transcription, not
    for any modern language.
    ‎Mark