Re: Does Unicode 4.1 change NFC?

From: Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk (qrczak@knm.org.pl)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 09:33:50 CST

    Peter Kirk <peterkirk@qaya.org> writes:

    > There is a serious danger of breaking existing implementations
    > (especially those which only fully support the BMP) by introducing a
    > BMP character which normalises to outside the BMP. For the BMP is now
    > no longer a closed subset of Unicode, under operations like
    > normalisation which existing implementations expected to find closed.

    I had to change my implementation of normalization because of this
    (my static tables of canonical decompositions use 16-bit entries for
    BMP blocks), but it was not a big deal.

    I'm more concerned with killing the myth that Unicode is a 16-bit
    encoding than with that minor inconvenience.

    --
       __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
       \__/       qrczak@knm.org.pl