Re: Macrons

From: Markus Scherer (markus.icu@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 10:55:12 CST

    For some of these you can use precomposed characters. See e with
    macron (U+0112 & U+0113) and o with macron (U+014D & U+014E).

    For m and n with macron, you need two characters each, and in your
    font you will want to define a ligature so that these character pairs
    map to single glyphs with the desired positioning of the pieces.

    The positioning problems that you found are because you are using a
    font that does not have ligatures for these and instead the macron
    glyph is superimposed on the m/n glyph. The result is legible (I hope)
    but ugly, and to make it look nice, a ligature is necessary.

    You can still have single keystrokes for these characters - some
    keystrokes just have to emit more than one character internally.

    markus