Re: Tamil Aytham and the role of Unicode names

From: Philippe VERDY (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 15:06:20 CST

    There's no error in Unicode. The standardized names are just used for references across documents related to the standardization process. The actual usage is given in the footer notes that are added in the PDF/printed version of the Unicode charts.
    Consider those standardized names only as symbolic.

    But nothing prevents developping other custom lists of character names, including actual translations.
    So create a list of character names translated into Tamil, and make these names displayed in your interface.

    If you really want to help the Tamil community, take the time to create a translation into Tamil of the whole (or most) set of Unicode/ISO/IEC 10646 standard names.

    My opinion is that Unicode should keep these names unchanged, but may help the community by developing a non-normative, but really informative, translation into English of the normative technical names.

    Note that English and French character names are also standard part of the ISO/IEC 10646 standard. May be there are errors too in the French names that are part of the normative French version of ISO/IEC 10646. In that case, having a secondary list of French names that would include corrections would be helpful too.

    To develop such list, one just needs to specify the alternate names that differ in one language or locale usage. These names will then substitute those names found in the default list of normative English and French Unicode/ISO/IEC 10646 character names.

    These character names translations could fit very well within the CLDR database, which is not normative but gives lots of useful hints considered as best practices unless corrections are applied. What do you think of this idea?

    So why not a new repository for those character names lists?