Re: Big-5+HKSCS => GBK mapping

From: Markus Scherer (markus.icu@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 15:16:37 CST

    On 4/6/05, Frank Yung-Fong Tang <franktang@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Why do you care about GBK. GBK is not a national standard nor a de
    > factor standard.

    I think it's actually quite fair to say that GBK _is_ a de facto
    standard because it has been implemented and used a lot, including as
    windows-936, the Windows system codepage for Chinese. While GB 18030
    is required in software sold in China since 2000 or so, there is a
    significant installed base predating that. Because of that, the
    designers of GB 18030 made it mostly compatible with GBK.

    Ken may or may not be able to sneak GB 18030 codes into GBK software.
    If the GBK software rejects illegal byte sequences, then he can't use
    GB 18030 codes that aren't also in GBK (i.e., 4-byters).

    markus

    --
    Opinions expressed here may not reflect my company's positions unless
    otherwise noted.