Re: String name and Character Name

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 13:58:09 CST

    Edward H. Trager a écrit :

    >But even if the mis-named and mis-spelled characters in the Unicode Standard are not changed, there really is
    >nothing stopping me (or you) from displaying what I believe are more correct names for these characters in some
    >website, software, or document that I might write. Johannes Bergerhausen's "Decode Unicode" project
    >(prototype at http://decode.meso.net/ ) would be a good forum where individuals can contribute clarifications
    >of how these mis-named characters should more properly referred to.

    The proper reference could often use a localized name. No need to show
    users an English long winded name (with potentially a spelling mistake
    and missing diacritics when compared to the local tradition spelling),
    one could very well show Chinese, Spanish, German or French names of the
    characters.

    MS Windows does this and the average user can look for all characters
    whose name contains "crochet" without knowing the English name (or its
    mispellings, viz. here "brakcet").

    P. A.