Re: String name and Character Name

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sun Apr 17 2005 - 11:01:39 CST

    On 16/04/2005 17:15, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    >On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Peter Kirk wrote:

    >>Anyway, if the official but incorrect character name
    >>is X, and the annotation says something "or Y", where Y is the correct
    >>name, or even "not really X but Y", and such an annotation is displayed,
    >>the result will simply be confusion for users.
    >>

    >So what do you suggest? Showing just Y? ...

    Yes. I suggested that the original X should be deprecated, in all cases
    where X is not equal to Y.

    >... In some cases, it might be sufficient to show just a
    >localized name, relying on the code number for universal identification.
    >
    >The idea of using CLDR for the purposes of localized names for characters
    >is probably crucial to addressing the problem of misleading official
    >names. It allows each language community to define, to the extent it finds
    >useful and possible, descriptive names that are widely understood within
    >the community. These names could then be used in utilities like Character
    >Map.

    This is fine for you in Finland. But what about us in one of the largest
    language communities in the world, the English speaking one? Are we to
    be forced to accept, in our user interfaces, inaccurate "Unicode
    Character Names" rather than the correct names of the characters?

    >How about the following idea of overcoming the difficulty?
    >1. Identify the characters with misleading official names.
    >2. Define better names for them in the "en" locale, and preferably
    > in the "fr" locale as well.
    >3. Enhance CLDR with the feature of combining locales, in the sense
    > that a user's locale choice can consist of a sequence of locales
    > in order of preference. For example, a user's choice could mean
    > "use the 'de' locale for anything defined there but the 'en'
    > locale for things that aren't define in the 'de' locale".
    >
    >That way, when accessing a character with a misleading official name,
    >the information shown to the user would consist of its localized name
    >in the "en" locale (or maybe "fr" locale), unless a name has been defined
    >for it in the user's preferred locale.

    This approach sounds promising, as long as the better names are properly
    provided for the 'en' locale as well as all the others.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)