RE: Example of the importance of scholarly encoding

From: David J. Perry (hospes@scholarsfonts.net)
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 03:54:58 CST

    > Decoded at last: the 'classical holy grail' that may rewrite the
    > history of the world
    As a classicist, I can say that this is quite an exageration. Most of
    the Oxyrhynchus papyri are fragmentary; even finding a relatively
    complete play by Sophocles would not change his position as one of the
    great dramatists of history. Finding a work by a previously unknown
    author would be very interesting, but again, hardly requiring a rewrite
    of world history..

    The likelihood of finding new characters in these papyri that would
    require encoding in Unicode is quite small (not zero, of course, nor am
    I suggesting in any way that new characters should not be encoded if
    appropriate).

    What scholars need, right now, is the ability to use what's already in
    Unicode. We have to use combining marks, since there will be no
    precomposed combinations added to the Standard. We have to use glyph
    variants, since not every shape of every letter will be encoded.
    Unicode is 15 years old now and we are still have very limited access to
    these features.

    David Perry