Re: String name and Character Name

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 07:56:18 CST

    On 21/04/2005 16:22, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >If the move is on to encourage software vendors to develop their own
    >proprietary lists of "accurate" character names for character-map UIs
    >and such, instead of using the official, non-perfect Unicode character
    >names, ...

    Has anyone actually suggested this? In my opinion, non-standardised
    proprietary names are even worse than the official but sometimes
    inaccurate names. What we need is a list which is both correct (or at
    least correctible when errors are found!) and standardised. And I accept
    that CLDR rather than Unicode proper may be the best place to go for this.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)