Re: String name and Character Name

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 11:27:15 CST

    Hans Aberg <haberg at math dot su dot se> wrote:

    > With policy of unique character names in hand, I see a scheme like
    > follows: Unicode has a site, where private characters are registered
    > by name. Registration may require some additional information, like
    > providing rendering glyphs in a common, public format, for public
    > use....

    Ask William Overington how receptive Unicode is to this idea.

    > In any case, a private character number, once used for
    > something, should never be used for anything new, in order to avoid
    > confusion.

    You'd be amazed how quickly 137,000 code points would fill up, as every
    high school kid who's ever invented an alphabet rushes to "register" it
    with Unicode:

    http://www.omniglot.com/writing/conscripts.htm
    http://www.langmaker.com/neographies.htm

    Not to mention the fact that the PUA would no longer be available for
    "real" private use.

    No, I'm afraid this is not going to happen.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California