Re: String name and Character Name

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 15:00:18 CST

    Hans Aberg <haberg at math dot su dot se> wrote:

    > We are essentially back at a discussion held here sometime ago: The
    > limit of number of Unicode code points is due to design flaw in the
    > UTF-16 encoding, where the engineers who did it failed to properly
    > separate the notions of character numbers and integer-to-binary
    > encoding.

    Whether this statement, or its underlying assumption, are true or false
    is orthogonal to my point. There is no need for a universal character
    encoding for every alphabet invented by a high-school kid, and no need
    for Unicode to turn itself into a self-service registry for every nonce
    glyph or variant that someone thinks is a "character."

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California