Re: String name and Character Name

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 07:24:50 CST

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 01:58:19 -0700 (PDT), "Andrew C. West" wrote:

    > U+002E "FULL STOP" = dot, decimal point
    > -- I might reasonably have expected "period" here

    As someone has kindly pointed out to me "PERIOD" does appear in the code charts
    for U+002E :

    002E FULL STOP
            = PERIOD
            = dot, decimal point
            * may be rendered as a raised decimal point in old style numbers
            x (arabic full stop - 06D4)
            x (ideographic full stop - 3002)

    However, the capitalised "aliases" given in the code chart (and NamesList.txt)
    are the Unicode 1 names for the character. Although the capitalised Unicode 1
    names and the lowercase aliases are not formally distinguished in the code
    charts or NamesList.txt other than being on separate lines, I have always
    maintained a distinction between the two. Maybe I'm wrong in this, and Unicode 1
    names should be considered to be character aliases, but if so then they are a
    special class of alias. As Jill has pointed out, it is not easy to be sure as
    there does not appear to be a public list of character aliases other than
    NamesList.txt, which I suspect merges various sources (Unicode 1 names from
    UnicodeData.txt and the other aliases from elsewhere).

    Andrew