Re: Full Unicode Computer Keyboard

From: Frank Yung-Fong Tang (franktang@gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 22:49:48 CDT

    Dear Hans: I have no strong opinion about other part of your email but the
    following is not really 'correct'.
    2005/5/9, Hans Aberg <haberg@math.su.se>:

    > The
    > fastest method for a large character set (like Chinese), is
    > supposedly that one types some identifier of the character, and the
    > computer successively shows the possible matches. When one sees the
    > right character appear, one selects it.

    In Chinese, that is not the "Fastest method". It is probably the method that
    easiest to learn. But any input method which involve of eye/hand
    coordination won't be the 'fastest' to type.
    For traditional Chinese, what you describe is very close to BoPoMoFo method
    (or Phonetic one), about 15 years ago, people invented a more intellegnet
    method that mach phrase instead of character by word frequence distribution.
    However, these are usually good for normal user to learn but won't be FAST
    becauase often time any input method involve 'eye' to find what to select
    will be slower to blind typing method that is determistic without using eye
    (yes, any professional English touch typist can type English without looking
    at either the keyboard or the screen, in the same way, most of the fast
    Changjie typist or BoShaMi typist can touch type too. ) BoShaMi input
    method, which usually do not prompt user any character to select was the
    'FASTEST' Chinese input method (my info was old. It was the fastest about 7
    years ago. Not sure now). Professional trained BoShaMi typist can easily
    type 120 Chinese characters per minutes with their eyes blind folded.

    --
    Frank Yung-Fong Tang 譚永鋒
    Šýšţém Årçĥîţéçţ