Re: Cyrillic guillemotleft and guillemotright

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 16:45:43 CDT

    I can't read your EPS file attachments, but you seem to assume that the
    "French" guillemots only have the glyphs shown in the Unicode charts.

    In fact, the size, position, and angle of these guillemots is variable in
    French texts. The x-height guillemots on the baseline is only one default,
    but often French write smaller guillemots aligned on the top of the
    M-height. The angle of the chevrons is also variable, some drawing those
    guillemots "uglily" with an more acute angle and a wider kerning, some using
    a tiny or inexistant kerning, with a flatter angle. Some even don't mark the
    angle point, using half ellipses (making the glyphs look more like small
    pairs of parentheses).

    I don't know which of these variable forms is recommanded in French.
    Children learning to write are just taught to use marked angles, but there's
    apparently no standard height for the glyph that must just be on the
    baseline or above it, and correctly oriented to the left or right. So even
    the "Asian" flat, narrow and tall chevrons are acceptable as well for
    French.