Re: Cyrillic guillemotleft and guillemotright

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 18:19:19 CDT

    From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    > No, the form used in the Unicode annotations in English are LEFT POINTING
    > GUILLEMET for U+00AB, and RIGHT POINTING GUILLEMET for U+00BB. The Unicode
    > names are actually LEFT/RIGHT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK. The
    > word "guillemet" appears in English dictionaries, but is known more or
    > less only to typographers.

    That was the first time I saw the term "guillemet" in English. Could I have
    incorrectly learned the term "guillemot" from unreliable sources, or from
    other "standards"? May be it was in glyph names for Postscript Level 1
    fonts? I can't remember.

    But you confirm the fact that the term is not commonly known by the English
    public (including the Adobe designers?) that can be confused. Note that
    "guillemotleft" and "guillemotright" is used in the subject line, by someone
    that probably did the same error as me. I should have verified instead of
    reusing the term.