Re: U+01B5/01B6

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Sat May 14 2005 - 01:06:54 CDT

    On Sat, 14 May 2005, Adam Twardoch wrote:

    > where is the character U+01B5/01B6 (letter Z/z with stroke) used?

    The code chart http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0180.pdf says:

    01B6 LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH STROKE
            = barred z, z bar
            * Pan-Turkic Latin orthography
            * handwritten variant of Latin "z"
            --> (latin small letter z - 007A)

    The page http://www.evertype.com/standards/iso10646/pdf/turkmen.pdf
    contains Michael Everson's description of the Pan-Turkic alphabet.

    > In Polish, a glyph like that is used as a stylistic variant/alternate
    > rendition of z with dot above (U+017B/017C), but not as a separate
    > character. In what context is it used as a separate character?

    Apparently, it is a separate character only in historical texts written in
    Pan-Turkic alphabet. I'm not sure of what we should think about the other
    annotation in the code chart. To stay on the safe side, I would assume
    that it is only meant to describe the shape and origin of the character.
    Thus, U+01B6 is not in any way equivalent to z, or z with dot above,
    or any other character. The Polish usage you describe would be described
    as glyph variation. Conceivably, a normal z could also look like z with
    stroke in some font, especially a font that imitates handwriting
    style, though this would be unwise if the font also contained U+01B6.