RE: Mathematical Greek Alphanumeric Symbols

From: Murray Sargent (murrays@exchange.microsoft.com)
Date: Sat May 14 2005 - 15:51:36 CDT

    The STIX committee (see http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr25/ for
    references) chose the sets of mathematical alphanumerics. I agree with
    you that sans-serif characters in general are rarely used in
    mathematics, at least in the mathematics of physics. My guess is that
    the STIX committee didn't find enough mathematical usage for sans-serif
    upright and italic Greek characters to justify including them. One can
    always resort back to higher-level character formatting to render such
    characters, but then the sans-serif distinction is lost on export to
    plain text. Such loss would imply a change in semantics. But so far,
    anyhow, we haven't seen a need for mathematical sans-serif and
    sans-serif italic Greek sets.

    Murray