Re: Corrections to Glagolitic

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 08:18:38 CDT

    On 17/05/2005 11:19, Michael Everson wrote:

    >> Why is š sometimes called hard i ? At least it is very common in
    >> French, Petit Larousse Illustré : «y (i dur) » and not uncommon in
    >> English <http://www.lahti.fi/museot/konferenssi/Russian_language.pdf>.
    >

    > Consonants are non-palatalized or palatalized in Russian. "Hard I"
    > would be a relic of pre-scientific linguistic description. The "hard
    > sign" follows a non-palatalized consonant. The "soft sign" follows a
    > palatalized consonant. YERU indicates that the previous consonant is
    > non-patalalized; I indicates that it is palatalized.

    In other words, YERU is effectively a hard sign followed by a phonemic
    /i/, and I is effectively a soft sign followed by a phonemic /i/. The
    difference between YERU and I is between hard and soft. By your logic, a
    hard sign cannot be so called because hardness is a feature of the
    preceding consonant rather than of the sign. Or perhaps you should just
    reject the entire Cyrillic alphabet as "a relic of pre-scientific
    linguistic description".

    There is of course a difference in pronunciation between YERU and I, but
    according to your phonological analysis this is entirely conditioned by
    the preceding consonant and so the two letters represent a single phoneme.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)