Re: SMTP and unicode

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer@nic.fr)
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 03:12:22 CDT

    On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 10:29:11PM +0200,
     Hans Aberg <haberg@math.su.se> wrote
     a message of 18 lines which said:

    > Therefore, people switched to MIME, which encodes 8-bit data into
    > 7-bit data. That situation seem to remain.

    Certainly not. I send all my email in 8-bits (not encoded) and, at
    least when email stays in France, there is no problem.

    > One should find a method to kill of any mail servers that still
    > zeroes out the 8'th bit.

    They are certainly a very small minority. But mail servers are only a
    part of the problem, you also have the broken anti-virus programs, the
    mail clients, the mail robots...