Re: ASCII and Unicode lifespan

From: Johannes Bergerhausen (johannes@bergerhausen.com)
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 17:28:48 CDT

    Am 18.05.2005 um 16:05 schrieb Eric Muller:

    > Patrick Andries wrote: A4, I believe, is German (DIN) in origin
    > before being an international standard (ISO). It is I believe a pure
    > coincidence that the foot and the length A4 are approximatively equal
    > since the base of the ISO A paper size series is the A0 format whose
    > area is 1 m©÷. By successive division respecting the ratio of ¡î2, you
    > get A4 to be 297mm ¡¿ 210 mm.

    Exactly. The DIN A series (0 to 7, i think) is from the 1920ies.
    Very smart for graphic designers, you always have the same proportion.
    A0 is the big poster, A2 is the small poster, A4 is a flyer and A6 is
    the common format of a postcard.

    And you can easily calculate the weight of a paper or a flyer,
    because the paper is given in g/m©÷.

    Very german. Based on a french idea of the times of the revolution,
    the meter system.

    With the roman foot, i think it is coincidence.
    I heard the roman foot was 29,63 cm.

    Johannes