Stateful encoding mechanisms

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 23:15:33 CDT

    Alexander Kh. wrote at 7:24 PM on Wednesday, May 18, 2005:

    >That's Microsoft scale gigantism. I can think of many ways to restrict
    >use of Unicode to only non-critical cases where the accuracy of data is
    >of no importance. For example: by using a modified UTF-8 format where
    >a ASCII letter can be used as a switch selector between any local
    >encodings - that method will allow to save A LOT of space for commonly
    >used characters.
    >
    >I think that by biulding extentions to UTF-8, such as a state-machine
    >system, and using small but well-thought encoding tables and fonts one
    >can totally avoid using Unicode, which is sloppy, inaccurate, incomplete
    >and for some strange reason uses character '\0' within a string. This is
    >not to mention its endianness problem. ...

    Stateful mechanisms for plain text encoding are bad if for no other
    reason than fragment fragility. Unfortunately Unicode does contain some
    state-machine characters, which I think are mistakes - enabling, as they
    do, fragment ambiguity or non-interpretability.

    Here are some:

    Stateful mechanisms that contribute to fragility at the character level -
      Surrogates
      BOM

    Stateful mechanisms that contribute to fragility above the character level -
      Bidirectional Ordering Controls
      Annotation characters

    Are there other stateful mechanisms in Unicode?

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar
    Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project