Re: ASCII and Unicode lifespan

From: Radovan Garabik (garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk)
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 06:25:04 CDT

    On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 12:37:00PM +0100, Peter Kirk wrote:
    > On 19/05/2005 07:50, Alexander Kh. wrote:

    > >>There is no 8-bit character set that supports both English and
    > >>Russian; the standard Russian character sets don't support accented
    > >>English characters. Besides which, it's rare that you have a large
    > >>stream of "English" data without any Spanish, French or German. I'm
    > >>sure Serbian, Ukranian and other odd letters slip into Russian text as
    > >>names and other ways.

    Well, not really. The standard way of doing things in the cyrillic world
    seems to transliterate/transcribe into the local variant.
    But yes, foreign (and archaic) letters do sometimes slip into Russian
    text (though latin and greek letters are much more common)

    | Radovan Garabík http://kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk/~garabik/ |
    | __..--^^^--..__    garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk     |