Re: ASCII and Unicode lifespan

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 17:55:45 CDT

    On 20/05/2005 21:07, David Starner wrote:

    >On 5/20/05, Tom Emerson <tree@basistech.com> wrote:
    >

    >>And Ogham and Sumero-Akkadian Cuneiform has a huge community just
    >>itching to use them? In light of the recent desires to encode the
    >>worlds scripts, "very little need" is specious.
    >>

    >As someone who scans books for Project Gutenberg, I've scanned one
    >book that will need Unicode Sumero-Akkadian Cuneiform by the time
    >processing is done, and expect to scan more. I can't imagine where I'd
    >need Phaistos; with one text, there's no need for a dictionary, and
    >copies of the text will usually just be pictures.

    I have one book which you might want to scan at some time ("Lost
    Languages" by Andrew Robinson) which uses individual Phaistos disk
    characters in running text, in its chapter on attempts to decode the
    Phaistos disk. Quote (from p.311): "It means, incidentally, that the
    directed pictograms such as @ face away from the direction of reading,
    like the Egyptian hieroglyphs...", where I wrote "@" in place of a
    picture of a bird facing to the right, a simplified version of one of
    the Phaistos disk characters. Of course this could be represented by an
    in-line graphic, but then so could any character in any script.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)