Re: Ligatures fi and ffi

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Jun 02 2005 - 09:05:38 CDT

    From: "Antoine Leca" <Antoine10646@leca-marti.org>

    > Philippe, please remember that ISCII does not imply a script. In fact, RMN
    > (that is, Latin script) is an available choice to render ISCII.

    Yes I know, and I did not use the term "script" but "Indian standard
    charsets". This is really different...

    A "charset" is definitely not a script, but an encoded subset of abstract
    characters, possibly belonging to one or more scripts, and serialized on a
    plain-text stream with a predefinite order and predefined values of bytes.
    (Yes, there's another, probably better, definition of "charset" for use in
    the IANA registry and in HTML/XML, and another one for Unicode itself in its
    normative character model).

    And I did not imply that Latin characters were needed in those Indian ISCII
    charsets, just that most of these charsets (as well as Arabic) already need
    a ligature processing system, now implemented in most "standard" renderers.

    So the technology is already there, and it seems unreasonable to not use it
    when rendering Latin, even without any reference to Indian and Arabic
    scripts (please don't tell me what is a "Indian" script, we all know that
    this covers *several* encoded and unencoded scripts with Brahmic origin,
    with some very widely used and some extremely rare or extinct, used in a
    region extending West, North, and East of India as well up to South-East
    Asia and South China or Tibet, or even some rare melanesian scripts used in
    the Pacific...)