Re: Woleai (Caroline Islands script)

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sat Jun 04 2005 - 19:12:49 CDT

    At 14:09 -0700 2005-06-04, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >And abstract characters don't "represent" scripts, in the sense of
    >distinguishing Latin A from Greek Alpha.

    Or Cyrillic KU and WE from Latin Q and W.

    >Scripts *contain* abstract characters.

    Just so. "Script" is a significant category, which is why ISO 15924
    exists. And its significance with Greek/Latin A/A is no less than its
    significance for other borrowings, such as Cyrillic/Latin Q/Q. [Yes,
    I used Latin code points for all of these, since this e-mail is
    Latin-1.]

    Woleai Type 2 script consists of entities originally borrowed from
    Latin (it being the stimulus) but which are not, any more, Latin.