Re: controll sequences

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 09:00:02 CDT

    On Tuesday, June 7th, 2005 17:31Z Matthias-Christian Ott wrote:

    > For what are the controll sequences in ascii (except \n & \t) useful?

    The writers of the standard ECMA-48 (ISO/IEC 6429, and the related ANSI
    X3.64) have written about 70 pages trying to provide answers to this very
    question. You can read their prose one click away from
    http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-048.htm.

    Perhaps part of the propositions could be seen as useless these days (and in
    fact a pair of them probably have always being useless.) However, I think
    that a superficious reading of this standard should show you that there are
    a variety of intended uses for control characters, depending of the
    contexts.

    There is also the accompanying ECMA-35 (ISO/IEC 2022), at
    http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-035.htm, which
    provide some additional answers (particularly for SI, SO and the related
    ones). More relevant could be ISO 1745:1975
    http://www.iso.org/iso/fr/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=6365,
    change /fr/ to /en/ if you need), but I must confess I never have the
    oportunity to actually read it.

    Antoine