Re: AW: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Mete Kural (metek@touchtonecorp.com)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 03:06:00 CDT

    >For HTML, markup shouldn't separate the letters.
    >But it's somewhat complicated (e.g. for combining diacritics),
    >so not all progams support that "feature".

    Yes, HTML shouldn't seperate the letters by default as Dominikus says. For other XML schemas, I guess it depends on each schema to decide on whether to seperate or not. Also some markup elements that add spacing do need to seperate the letters such as <BR/> <P>. But markup such as <FONT color="red"> should not split the letters. But changing the font size in the middle of the word such as <FONT size="10"> is probably going to end up splitting the letters since the font engine cannot join letters with different font sizes together.

    I think being able to color parts of a word in different colors is a useful feature to have. It should be useful in Arabic educational resources in order to show the morphology of a word by highlighting different sections of the word in different colors.

    -Mete

    --
    Mete Kural
    Touchtone Corporation