Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Mete Kural (metek@touchtonecorp.com)
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 06:33:21 CDT

    >Neither I think.
    >
    >If the HTML requires a multicolor ligature and the font does not have that
    >multicolor ligature glyph,
    >then I would expect the rectangular 'missing glyph' symbol.

    IMHO, that would be the ugliest imaginable solution. The font engine should try to do its best possible not give up arms completely.

    The easy next best solution is what Internet Explorer already does. What it simply does is, if one of the characters in the ligature (such as the lam-alef ligature in Arabic) is colored differently then the whole ligature is colored to that different color. Let's say if the "lam" in a lam-alef ligature is red while the default text color is black, the whole lam-alef ligature ends up being colored red. I think this is the next best solution to being able to color part of the ligature red. Although it is certainly the much better solution then splitting the Arabic letters, which is completely wrong and confuses the reader. And putting a missing glyph symbol, even uglier.

    Regards,
    Mete

    --
    Mete Kural