Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 20:58:27 CDT

    John Hudson a écrit :

    > Thai and Indic scripts are different, because selection takes place at
    > the syllable cluster level.

    And do deletions also happen on the whole syllable cluster? This does
    seem to be the case in MS Word 2003 for Tamil (with this syllable கோ) or
    Devanagari (क्षि), where one can delete a single character (even a split
    vowel) but not select it... Somehow, I find this asymmetrical.
    Interestingly enough, Firefox as I type this message and press
    Shift+right arrow to select characters, shows the individual Devenagari
    or Tamil. In this way, one may stop the selection where one wants in the
    syllable... I find this clever, although if I change the selected text's
    colour and unselect the text, the Tamil split vowel no longer surrounds
    its consonant and the Devanagari letters no longer form a conjunct.

    P. A.