Re: Tamil sha (U+0BB6) - deprecate it?

From: Curtis Clark (jcclark-lists@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 23:18:50 CDT

    On 2005-06-26 15:08, Richard Wordingham wrote:
    > Actually, Unicode has added such a character, ŋ (U+014B), to the
    > *script* used by the French *language*. I don't know how often it
    > appears in French, but I have seen it in the spelling of Bangladesh on a
    > map apparently in English, and it occasionally turns up in Indian names
    > and terms written in English.

    Another that came to mind is Þ (thorn), "imposed" upon the Latin script
    from Runic, a separate alphabet, so that the Saxons could strengthen
    their hegemony by writing the sounds of their unmelodious language,
    sounds unneeded by French, Spanish, or the original Latin. We thought we
    had fought back their attack by omitting it from ASCII, forcing them to
    use the t-h digraph (and ambiguously, aha!, for it also is used for ð),
    but our sweet victory was overturned by the foul potentates of Unicode
    and their Icelandic henchmen who forced, literally, a thorn into our side.

    Web Coordinator, Cal Poly Pomona                 +1 909 979 6371
    Professor, Biological Sciences                   +1 909 869 4062