Re: Tamil Collation vs Transliteration/Transcription Enc

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 02:40:01 CDT

    On Friday, June 24th, 2005 22:52Z Richard Wordingham wrote:
    > I for
    > one would not be surprised if there were antiquarian fonts that added
    > the entire Grantha script to Tamil, using the obvious code points.
    > [Would Uniscribe provide OpenType support for such an
    > 'extended-Unicode' (i.e. strictly speaking, not Unicode) font?

    I guess no, but I do not qualify for an official answer.
    Even then, you perhaps could cheat to make the various Opentype engines show
    something valuable.

    > Does FreeType?]

    About OpenType support: no, Freetype does not support Tamil Opentype (nor
    any Indic Opentype), and won't: this is left to a higher level (like Pango
    or Qt).

    About rendering undefined codepoints: yes, it would. Freetype does not care
    to check if a codepoint is defined or not in the then current version of
    Unicode. As a result, whenever the committees add codepoints and font
    designers add them to their fonts, it still keep working as far as Freetype
    is concerned. Only when the rules about the spaces are changed (like adding
    surrogates) will it mean change to the basic renderers like Freetype or
    Windows GDI.

    > All Latin-script languages suffer from the fact that 'B' comes
    > before 'a' in binary order,

    This is not true everywhere.
    However, when B comes after a, then 9 comes last, and anyway b comes before
    A.

    Antoine