Tamil Collation - Analysis

From: Sinnathurai Srivas (sisrivas@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 14:33:43 CDT

    Tamil Nadu state government collation table
    http://www.infitt.org/minmanjari/issue2_2/mm-unicodetngovt.html
    is the sort order we need to acheieve, (as primary/default sort order).

    If we do not have to think of future, if we do not have to take count of
    infrequent usage,
    then there is a very simple solution.
    Thai is

    first sort Independent vowels (அ ஆ இ ஈ உ ஊ எ ஏ ஐ ஒ ஓ ஔ)
    then sort aytham (ஃ)
    then sort pulli (்)
    then sort consonant-a (க ங ச ஞ ட ண த ந ப ம ய ர ல வ ழ ள ற ன)
    then sort dependent vowel (ா ி ீ ு ூ ெ ே ை ொ ோ ௌ)

    Typical results would be as follows. (If you wish to vie in a text file with
    linear display, please use aAvarangal font (aAvarangal2 is slightly
    different). One do not need to understand nor concern about fully rendered
    display. A linear display is more than enough for development purposes, it
    is easy to understand and easy to test the software.)

    sample 1
    க்க
    ககக
    கசக
    காக
    கிக

    sample 2
    க்க
    ககக
    கஙக
    கசக
    கஞக
    காக
    கிக
    கீக
    குக
    கூக
    கெக
    கேக
    கைக
    கொக
    கோக
    கௌக

    However followings need to be considered.
    To be continued ...

    Regards
    சின்னத்துரை சிறீவாஸ்