RE: Arabic encoding model

From: Mete Kural (metek@touchtonecorp.com)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 12:01:41 CDT

    From: Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com>
    >At 18:55 -0700 2005-07-04, Peter Constable wrote:
    >
    >>The stability policy on normalization was a major factor in the decision
    >>not to adopt encoding of generative Arabic marks.
    >
    >There is a need to encode such marks for scholarly purposes related
    >to the early Qur'an, but their introduction would not be normalized
    >to any of the existing Arabic letters.

    Yes, I second. The scholarly need in regards to generative Arabic marks in Unicode Arabic is absolute, not just for early Qur'an but for "any" early Arabic writing. So I believe these will eventually get added to Unicode Arabic as soon as one writes a good proposal for it. It's just that I don't see another way around it. The need and what needs to be done to satisfy the need is clear.

    I also hope that in the long term (hopefully before we are all dead :) the normalization to existing Arabic letters should be applied as well for integrity and a consistent code block, but I expect that there will be a wide gap between when the generative marks are added and when the normalization to existing Arabic letters are added. As technology improves, such normalization should be more and more viable without compromising the stability of Unicode.

    Regards,
    Mete

    --
    Mete Kural