Re: Arabic encoding model (alas, static!)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 14:17:35 CDT

    Dean Snyder wrote:

    > Please list for us here some of the most significant decisions ISO/IEC/
    > JTC1/SC2 and its Working Group 2 have taken that went against
    > recommendations of the UTC.
    >
    > In addition, since 1992, let's say, give us your best estimate as to the
    > percentage of decisions ISO has made that went against UTC
    > recommendations compared to all the decisions ISO made.

    I don't see what such information would demonstrate, unless you are intending to imply
    that ISO is only acting independently and competently when it disagrees with the UTC. But
    that would just be stupid.

    You are expecting the percentage of ISO decisions that want against UTC recommendations to
    be small, I presume. But all this would indicate is that two very similarly composed
    groups of engineers and linguists dealing with the same issues agree on the same solutions
    most of the time, which is exactly what I would expect. If two such similarly composed
    group regularly came to opposite opinions, I would be very surprised.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com