Re: Missing capital H from Unicode range (see 1E96)

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 15:39:04 CDT

    At 11:43 AM 7/6/2005, Lorna_Priest@sil.org wrote:
    > > I am seeking some advice on the use of a capital H with a bar under
    > > (see lowercase character 1E96).
    > > The character seems it ought to be a valid one and is used in Hefa
    > > in Israel - this is made more likely by the inclusion of the
    > > lowercase character in the Unicode range (1E96).
    > >
    > > Could somebody please advise me:
    > > 1) how to construct the character by using floating marks - as my
    > > results do not provide as good a representation as the lowercase version
    >
    >You can see in the Unicode book that U+1E96 decomposes to U+0068 U+0331.
    >Thus for the uppercase you would go with: U+0048 U+0331

    There is no need to reason this out along those lines; the case mapping
    for this character is fully documented in

    http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/SpecialCasing.txt

    (Incidentally, it matches what you would expect from the deocmposition).

    The reason it is documented in SpecialCasing.txt rather than in UnicodeData.txt
    mostly has to do with the fact that it is a 1:2 mapping, not a 1:1.

    A./