RE: Arabic encoding model (alas, static!)

From: asadek@st-elias.com
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 20:30:35 CDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Kenneth Whistler" <kenw@sybase.com>

    > Asking again isn't going to turn one up.

    Do you expect me to know there is none before asking and being told so?
    Thank you for confirming this absence at the UTC and its apparent veto to
    have this proposal passed to the WG2.

    [...]

    > The presentation of a proposal to a standards committee isn't like
    > an application for a license from a government agency (or something
    > similar), for which the applicant has some kind of legal entitlement
    > and rights to appeal and rights to explicit provision of reasons
    > if the application is turned down.

    Pity, as this is not a small point but deals with a major point and would avoid
    repetitive discussions like this one.

    [...]

    > Your task, instead, would be to create a consensus within the
    > character encoding community (and the implementing information
    > technology companies) that the existing Arabic encoding is so
    > flawed that it requires introduction and implementation of
    > a competing, distinct textual representation in Unicode.
    >
    > That, sir, is a *very* high mountain to climb, at this point.

    Especially, if I will have not even right to know why it would not be accepted!

    I was just asking questions and hoped to see written rationales (as these
    would be more complete and self-contained that the general overview you
    quickly mentioned above).

    I can't say the tone is very inviting.

    Ashraf Sadek

    --