Re: Arabic encoding model (alas, static!)

From: John Hudson (
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 01:51:43 CDT

    >>If rendering presented insuperable
    >>practical issues, rather than theoretical issues, that would be an
    >>adequate reason for abandoning the idea.

    > Just as it is practically impossible to display an infinite number of
    > combining diacritics on Latin letters?

    One eventually runs out of space on the paper, but other than this, I don't see a problem
    displaying a large number of combining diacritics on Latin letters, at least from a font
    perspective. The key is that one is not, in fact, applying all the marks to the letter,
    but applying marks one to each other in chains.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks
    Vancouver, BC
    Currently reading:
    Truth and tolerance, by Benedict XVI, Cardinal Ratzinger as was
    War (revised edition), by Gwynne Dyer
    God's secret agents, by Alice Hogge