Re: Arabic encoding model (alas, static!)

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 10:22:46 CDT

    Peter Constable wrote at 7:07 AM on Thursday, July 7, 2005:

    >> From: Dean Snyder [mailto:dean.snyder@jhu.edu]
    >
    >> >Suppose there has *never* been an instance in which WG2 rejected a
    >> >UTC recommendation. What would you derive from that?
    >>
    >> I would assert that the burden of proof is on you and others to
    >> establish that the WG2 is not a rubber stamp of the UTC.
    >
    >Ah, so you would derive that WG2 is a rubber stamp. That is not at all a
    >valid logical conclusion.

    Based on what facts?

    And anyway who has said it is a logical conclusion; actually I would
    consider it very strong circumstantial evidence.

    >So, you'd put the burden on me (or whomever) to establish this is not
    >the case. Why? Who's conducting an inquiry and why? Is this needed for
    >some criminal investigation? Or simply to satisfy the whims of certain
    >individuals?

    It's very simple - in this forum Erkki Kolehmainen made the bald
    statement, "it would be grossly unfair and misleading to characterize it
    as a rubberstamping organization". If the facts are that WG2 approves,
    let's say, 98% of UTC recommendations, then, as I continue to say, the
    burden of proof is on those who would assert that it is not a de facto
    rubber-stamp.

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar
    Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project