Re: Jumping Cursor. Was: Right-to-Left Punctuation Problem

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 10:09:08 CDT

    Jony Rosenne a écrit :

    >An important landmark was the article ARABIC WORD PROCESSING by Joe Becker
    >of Xerox, Communications of the ACM, July 1987, Volume 30 Number 7.
    >
    >"Recently developed word processing software can correctly format the
    >cursive, interacting letters of the Arabic script. Moreover, new layout
    >procedures can automatically intermix right-to-left Arabic writing with
    >left-to-right text in European or other languages."

    Well, I believe ASMO 708 may have been the real landmark in 1986, it
    allowed the
    encoding of mixed Latin and Arabic texts and required contextualization.
    It later became
    ISO 8859-6:1987 which was itself integrated in ISO 10646.

    A previous employer of mine (now defunct Alis technologies) was founded
    as Arabic
    Latin Information System and developed several contextualization Arabic
    and Bidi
    solutions soon after its founding in 1981 : terminal emulations, printer
    firmware or
    even participating in MS-DOS Arabic in 1987 (I think, I wasn't there!)
    before coming up
    with the first Unicode Arabic browser (Tango).

    In other words, Joe Becker identified and documented a trend in the
    industry that had
    already led to the standardization of Arabic character sets that allowed
    for mix
    Latin and Arabic texts requiring contextualization (and shared Latin LTR
    digits).

    P. A.