Re: Jumping Cursor. Was: Right-to-Left Punctuation Problem

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@icu-project.org)
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 20:34:33 CDT

    The choice of whether or not to clone characters was made consciously. We
    had experience with the other model: I wrote the first implementation of
    Arabic and Hebrew on the Mac back in 1986ish, and in that implementation
    cloned the common characters, giving the clones RTL directionality.

    We found many problems with this, because identical-looking characters had
    bizarre effects when cut and pasted into different fields. Arabic and Hebrew
    users are not working in a vacuum; they will be cutting and pasting in text
    from a variety of sources, including LTR sources. Cloning parentheses (or
    interpreting them according to visual appearance) meant that every program
    that analyzed text for open/close parentheses (eg regex) failed. And we
    didn't do numbers as LSDF (least-significant digit first); that would have
    caused huge problems in compatibility because software is just not set up to
    recognize LSDF numbers. And this is not to speak of the security problems
    with these clones (see http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr36/).

    Thus when it came time to do the original BIDI algorithm, we decided not to
    use the cloning approach.

    The BIDI algorithm is not an impediment to the development of software
    globalized for BIDI. Most programs will simply use OS-supported text widgets
    that handle all the details for them. Text/Word processors can use the
    lower-level implementations of the BIDI algorithm: there are plenty of solid
    implementations around, either supported by the OS or in libraries like ICU.
    The barriers that I have seen to people globalizing their products for BIDI
    are more the other aspects, such as dialog layout in the applications, etc.

    Moreover, it would be certainly possible for a program to use visual layout
    on the screen, then translate that internal format to and from logical
    layout for transmission as Unicode. Quite frankly, while you find the BIDI
    algorithm difficult to use, all of the other approaches had such serious
    problems that it is really the only practical approach.

    (Notwithstanding that, if I had the chance to go back in time and undo a few
    things, I would have simplified the weak processing to make numbers
    independent of their surroundings. But that's water far, far under the
    bridge.)

    ‎Mark