"minus" usage

From: JFC (Jefsey) Morfin (jefsey@jefsey.com)
Date: Tue Aug 09 2005 - 10:12:58 CDT

    I need to create a key for a multilingual database (terms entered in
    various scripts). The key will therefore to be numeric (0-9).However I need
    a separator "999-778". I suppose there may be dash homographs in some
    scripts. May I trust there is a single "minus" being used as part of the
    numbering sequence in every script and specify the format as "4 numerics,
    minus, 5 numerics" ?
    Thank you for the help.
    jfc