Re: Missing capital H from Unicode range (see 1E96)

From: Gregg Reynolds (unicode@arabink.com)
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 13:57:15 CDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > From: "Andreas Prilop" <nhtcapri@rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de>
    >

    > Correct. For example I have seen all these transliterations of this
    > common Arabic first name:
    >
    > (1) Pedantic variants using modified base H:

    etc...

    I believe (but I'm not certain) that the Encyclopedia of Islam uses "kh"
    with an underscore stretching across both letters. H with under dot is HAH.

    IJMES (International Journal of Middle Eastern Studies?) uses plain old
    "kh", if I'm not mistaken. I think they try to stick to ascii.

    Wright's Arabic Grammar (the standard in the English-speaking world)
    uses "h" with underscore. In the chart of letters, it uses upper-case.
      In the text, proper names use initial upper-case, the rest use
    lower-case. E.g. your example would be "Haled" with the H underscored.

    "x" is commonly used, at least in informal ascii-based and other translits.

    I would be very surprised to see any transliteration using a mark on the
      h only, where it is used as part of a digraph to represent arabic
    khah. Or rather I would be surprised to see such a design gain market
    share.

    -g