Re: 28th IUC paper - Tamil Unicode New

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 18:13:07 CDT

    At 17:32 -0500 2005-08-18, N. Ganesan wrote:
    >28th Internationalization and Unicode conference
    >Orlando, FL, Sept. 7-9, 2005
    >
    >This conference has a paper describing Tamil Unicode-New.

    The Tamil encoding will *not* be changed. The encoding as it is is
    adequate to represent modern Tamil. It is not "unnecessarily
    complex". Nor is it something that WG2 or UTC cooked up to make life
    difficult for Tamils. The Tamil encoding is based on the ISCII
    encoding for Tamil.

    There is no reason to wish to change the Tamil encoding. The very
    suggestion that it should be changed is, in my opinion, irresponsible.