Re: FW: Subj: Converting from UCS-2 to UTF-8

From: Gregg Reynolds (unicode@arabink.com)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 14:21:15 CDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > For those users that still run Windows 95/98/ME, this won't work, as
    > these systems can only do the following:

    > So there are still applications needing converters based on other
    > routines and mappings.

    Another possibility I just discovered in my ever-expanding list of
    neglected bookmarks is the Free recode package at
    http://recode.progiciels-bpi.ca/index.html

    "The ``recode`` library converts files between character sets and
    usages. It recognises or produces more than 300 different character
    sets and transliterates files between almost any pair. When exact
    transliteration are not possible, it gets rid of offending characters
    or falls back on approximations. The ``recode`` program is a handy
    front-end to the library."

    It's available under the lesser GPL, so it may be of interest to the
    original questionner. There is a (possibly outdated) windows .exe on
    the site.

    -gregg