Re: Historical Cyrillic in Unicode

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 17:20:54 CDT

    Michael Everson wrote:

    >> Here I mean so-called letter-titlos, i. e. superscript letters written
    >> above the word they belong to. These characters are quite similar to
    >> Latin superscript letters in the combining marks block (0363--036f),
    >> but some of them are usually combined with titlo (hence the name),
    >> which, however, has a different shape in this case. Church Slavonic
    >> has quite strict rules which require specific words to be written with
    >> letter-titlos rather than with
    >> regular inline letters.

    > Ah, my mistake. I misunderstood you. I would tend to agree with you that
    > there is a case for encoding these characters; I do know the case you
    > refer to, and it is analogous to Latin medievalist combining letters.

    Out of interest, are the letter-titlos understood to be applied to base letters or to base
    words? Alexej's message refers to them being written 'above the word they belong to'. Are
    they always single letters, or might a sequence of letter-titlos occur above a word?

    You can probably guess the direction of these queries: in Unicode combining marks are
    applied to base characters, and there is no mechanism within Unicode for applying
    combining marks to words. [This is already any issue for the Hebrew masora circle, which
    is a word-relative mark correctly positioned above the visual centre of the word to which
    it applies; this can only be achieved with some glyph positioning fiddling using the
    Unicode combining masora circle applied to a base letter near the middle of the word.]

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com