Re: 28th IUC paper - Tamil Unicode New

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 18:36:46 CDT

    Adam Twardoch wrote:

    > Richard Wordingham wrote:
    >
    >> So how do I get it to live up to its 'responsibility' to support an Indic
    >> conlang living in the PUA?

    Sorry, I thought it was obvious that this was a rhetorical question.

    (Reply may be summarised as, 'No way! That's the trade-off.').

    > There are open source OpenType Layout processors available: IndiX and ICU
    > Layout.
    > http://rohini.ncst.ernet.in/indix/
    Not responding at the moment.

    > http://icu.sourceforge.net/userguide/layoutEngine.html
    > Since they're open source, you can extend them to cover your own PUA usage
    > schemes.

    So can I get Notepad, Word and Excel to use the latter instead of Uniscribe?
    (I like the principle that the ICU Layout Engine allows, but does not
    require, the font to fully define the glyph processing.) N.B. Rhetorical
    question!

    The basic problem is to get applications to work without built-in script
    knowledge. That's why I was asking about the feasibility of doing it with
    GSUB under Uniscribe by hook or by crook, but keeping the order of
    codepoints the same as in Unicode. I believe handling well-formed Tamil is
    straightforward. It's possible that I've not understood the residual
    problems for Tamil.

    Should someone take on the task of formalising this knowledge so as to make
    it publicly available, data table driven, and endorsed by Unicode? Ideally
    it should also be easy to use!

    Richard.