Re: Windows Glyph Handling

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 08:48:23 CDT

    From: "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr>

    > Uniscribe is unlikely to become a standard for now, but it should be
    > replaceable by other layout engines, without breaking the OpenType
    > compatibility contract. The problem is that Uniscribe is not replaceable
    > by a Open-Type compatible layout engine, because Uniscribe also uses a
    > second interface to the rendering engine (GDI(+), DirectX, and probably
    > others possibly in a multi-layered architecture...) and to user-level GUI
    > components (the Windows User API) such as carret management, whose
    > specifications are closed and probably not even standardized across
    > Windows versions.

    GDI and Uniscribe have a close relationship, but GDI+ and Uniscribe do not.
    They have a shared heritage cbut entirely separate shaping engines and logic
    (even in cases where they originally came from the same source) -- one is
    *not* a wrapper around the other.

    I only mention this because you seem to be implying otherwise in your posts.

    MichKa