Re: Windows Glyph Handling

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 21:43:38 CDT

    From: "Adam Twardoch" <list.adam@twardoch.com>
    > Christopher Fynn wrote:
    >> Will the specs for shaping each complex script (now kind of a separate
    >> appendix to the OpenType specification and currently determined by
    >> Microsoft) be part of this standard?
    >>
    > I don't think so.

    I think that these appendixes should be part of the standard, because the
    fonts for complex scripts can't be used reliably without the definition of
    those features, and their semantic. Without them complex scripts would not
    be usable for embedding in MPEG4 or elsewhere, and rendering in open
    platforms.

    What will not go in the standard is the binary API implementing these
    descriptions (because those APIs are system specific), but it may happen
    that a functional description for such API could occur sometime (for example
    a common source API for Java, or for .NET, or for other portable development
    platforms, described as a object service).