Re: VCR technical symbols?

From: Philippe Verdy (
Date: Sat Aug 27 2005 - 13:54:35 CDT

  • Next message: Doug Ewell: "Re: Cyrillic Yo writ large"

    From: "Curtis Clark" <>
    > To me, the criterion has always been "Does it need to be exchanged
    > electronically in plain text?" Although I have no interest in making a
    > case for the pause symbol, I think a case could be made.

    There are similar symbols that are used to mean ON/OFF which are commonly
    used in lots of texts, as well as on various devices and their documentation
    (although only rich text), such as lit on/lit off light bulbs (approximating
    those with a sun symbol with rays, or with bullets or with checkboxes is not
    adequate in plain-text). Quite similar symbols are used for audio
    ACTIVE/MUTE (a white or black speaker, with or without sonor waves)

    Similar symbols exist also for meaniong IN/OUT (generally an arrow entering
    into or exiting from an open square box or open circle), for meaning
    LOCKED/UNLOCKED (also used on some keyboards for the capslock key)

    Add the logos used to identify connectors on PCs; see the symbols near your
    USB, Firewire, Ethernet and modem/phone connectors, or that differenciate
    mouse and keyboard PS/2 connectors, or near buttons to switch on/off the
    radio devices: Wifi (antenna dish) and Bluetooth (its special 'B' logo), or
    that differentiate audio connectors (micro input, speaker output, headphone
    output, aux/line inputs...)

    Add also the ramp symbols used for audio volume control (also used to
    display the signal reception status on mobile phones), or for showing the
    charge status of batteries (or simply their correct mounting orientation in
    a battery conection box).

    Then add the various logos used for showing compliance with various national
    or international standards (look behind you PC, or at your AC/DC

    And don't forget the common technical symbols used to mean AC (a horizontal
    sine wave quite similar to the tilde symbol, but often shown over a dashed
    line) or DC (a horizontal line over a 3-segment dashed line) power supplies
    or plugs... Or the key symbols used on "multimedia keyboards" (such as the
    Email key that shows a letter, but I think it is already encoding in

    This list is infinite, because such new ideographs are regularly invented to
    replace technical terms that general public will confuse. However, too many
    of them are copyrighted logos attached to proprietary technologies, and
    should not be encoded (for example the CD and DVD logos, or the RDS logo on
    FM radios), or the Windows and Apple symbols on PC/Mac keyboards...

    I would not be surprised if there were also symbols for printed postal

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Sat Aug 27 2005 - 13:57:03 CDT