Re: VCR technical symbols?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun Aug 28 2005 - 19:50:02 CDT

    From: "Curtis Clark" <jcclark-lists@earthlink.net>

    >>>That's a good and clear criterion.
    >>
    >> I don't think it's a terribly clear criterion.
    >
    > The criterion itself is very clear, and "exchange", "electronic", and
    > "plain text" in this context are well-understood. As John Hudson pointed
    > out, it is the "need" that is slippery.

    True, notably his KEY criterion which is quite clear and decisive:
    "Technical symbols proper, e.g. for geometrical tolerancing, represent
    mathematical relationships and concepts that cannot be so easily and
    efficiently expressed in words."
    * this criteria works remarkably well with company logos that must not be
    encoded in standard Unicode (which are in fact better represented by their
    name, but also because these logos are copyrighted and not made for general
    use, such as the Apple logo character, or the Windows symbol on PC
    keyboards)
    * this criteria works well with APL function symbols (although they have
    names, these names are in fact describing the symbol, and are not
    standardized, so the effective concept is the symbol itself)
    * this criteria works well with box drawing symbols (although they have
    names, these names are in fact poorly describing the symbol, and are not
    standardized or attested in common language, so the effective concept is the
    symbol itself)
    * this criteria meets also the encoding of digits as well, because they are
    concepts distinct from numbers, and they allow expressing numbers that would
    other wise be difficult or impractically or impossible to express in words.